In this article we will look at how to dye your hair yourself. And also give some recommendations on how to avoid common mistakes when coloring hair.
If you have a desire to change the color of your hair, but do not want to empty your wallet on trips to the hairdresser, then there is another way out in this situation. You can try to change the color yourself or adjust the old one. After all, painting a house does not take much time and does not differ in the complexity of the process itself. And we will tell you how to do it right, and give not only detailed instructions, but also practical advice.
What you need to consider before dyeing hair: the preparatory phase
Of course, the first thing you need to choose the paint itself. We will not go deep into the price category, because everyone has their own financial capabilities. And we do not exclude the fact that there is no universal paint that suits everyone. Even if it is an expensive and well-known brand.
Pay due attention to color selection and paint purchase.
- Choosing the right color at home is very difficult. It is better, of course, to consult with a specialist on this issue. After all, three indicators must be taken into account - the color of hair, eyes and skin.
- Our advice is Do not radically change your hair color. The maximum can be changed to 2 colors darker and 1 tone lighter. Do not forget that nature always creates harmony in everything.
- If you need a durable option, then gentle ammonia-free paints are not suitable. After all, they are washed faster, and not so well grasped on gray hair.
- But ammonia paints significantly affect the health of the hair. Therefore, choose your side of the coin - shiny hair with frequent dyeing, or a rare adjustment with a duller shade.
- The pattern was also noted that curly hair does not wash off the paint as quickly as straight curls.
- Never forget the rule that dark colors add age!
- Choosing a company is your choice. But you should not be guided only by price. It is also not advisable to choose unknown brands. It is in such products that harmful components can often be found.
- Cold shades are easier to bring to life on your own than warm colors. But cold colors are hardly suitable for anyone. And it’s hard to catch their correct selection. Remember - they are contraindicated for autumn-type girls, and spring representatives need to subtly “catch” this desired shade.
- But warm colors will suit them. By the way, if you want to create the effect of "bunnies in your hair", then go for easy highlighting on the curls.
- And of course consider the length of your hair. One package is enough for soft hair, medium length. The longer they are, the more paint you need. But, if you have a short haircut, then choose a paint with the possibility of separation in half.
Essential tools for painting hair at home
You will definitely need:
- ceramic tara for mixing paint, which can be replaced with a glass plate. Never take metal containers. The reaction of the reagents takes place in them, so the final color will change. Sometimes modern paint options include a special dispenser;
- clamps for hair, which will simplify the fixing of curls. And they will not get confused when you work with a certain site;
- old towel or special wrap on shoulders. Remember that painting things is also possible;
- clockto pinpoint time;
- tassel or at least a toothbrush to carry out the application of paint;
- wooden wand for mixing paint. The brush itself will not work out so carefully. Moreover, the paint nourishes the brush, and "bloopers" can turn out;
- hairbrush preferably with rare teeth. Otherwise, hair with dye will be confused. And combing will help better distribution of paint across all strands;
- any bold cream, even for hands;
- gloves often come with paint. Do not ignore their necessity. There are paints, especially in light colors, that can leave white spots on the skin. Yes, they will pass. But why do you need to spoil a beautiful manicure. And dark colors, by the way, can leave dark spots on the hands for some time.
Now you can even buy whole sets for self-coloring hair
On a note: At home, the correct packaging will greatly simplify and accelerate hair coloring along the entire length. Now you can buy special bottles with combs or dispensers. If you did not find such a device, then make it from a regular plastic bottle. To do this, make a few small holes in a simple lid. Paint will be much more convenient to apply to the head.
Hair preparation for coloring
- Well-groomed hair is approved before painting. After all, then dyeing will bring the expected effect: the color will be saturated and persistent, and the hair will remain strong and healthy. Yes there, damaged hair can not only distort color, but also be damaged even more. Therefore, bring them in order initially. Recommended make several masks on the eve.
- It is good if the hair is slightly oily. Yes it is little dirty curls with a covered thin layer of sebaceous secretions (sebum). This will help protect the hair and scalp from the harmful effects of paint.
- It is important not to wash your hair immediately before painting, but comb well. Thanks to combing, you will get rid of dust and the remnants of cosmetics (for example, varnish), and also distribute the necessary fat from the roots to the ends of the hair.
- If the hair is very heavily soiled, then it should be washed very gently in advance and dry thoroughly. And do not even wash, but only a little refresh.
- Protect your skinso that they also do not stain. Agree, a spotted forehead does not suit anyone. Brush the cream with a small layer along the contour of the hair. And do not forget about the ears. They very often touch during painting. Yes, and an independent method.
- Divide the hair into 4 parts. To do this, you first need to part in the center of the head - from the forehead to the back of the head, and from one ear to the other. Secure each of the four sections with a clip.
Hair should be a little dirty before dyeing.
Important: Before applying hair dye, an allergy test must be performed. Even if the product is well known to you, and you regularly use it. Because the scalp is very sensitive to external irritants. To do this, apply a small amount of paint to the inside of the elbow, and after a few minutes rinse and wait about an hour. If during this time an allergic reaction does not occur on the skin (rash, burning or itching), you can proceed to dye your hair without problems.
Prepare the paint and work area correctly
- No matter how carefully you carry out this procedure, but safety net will not be superfluous. If possible, cover an old bedspread or a piece of tablecloth on the floor. Especially if you are performing an operation on a painted floor, such as a tree or linoleum.
- Do not forget to clean the carpet.
- On the table also cover the polyethylene. Do not forget that the paint has the ability to eat. Therefore, getting rid of unnecessary stains will be problematic.
- Also try to dye your hair away from home furniture. The reasons do not require explanation.
- Mix paint in strict proportion and in the desired sequenceas indicated in the instructions. In principle, manufacturers emit the necessary dosages. Some recommend adding a cream to mitigate the harmful effects of paint. But be prepared that this will slightly change the color itself and the overall stamina.
- Cooked paint in a short period of time begins to oxidize. That is, it changes color and loses its properties. Therefore, we recommend it to breed for long hair in two stages.
- If all paint is not used, then do not store it. She will not only lose her coloring properties, but also become emit harmful substances. Even in ammonia-free paints is not the safest composition.
How to dye your hair yourself: the process of dyeing
After completing each preparatory stage, you can proceed to the painting itself. By the way, do not forget about good lighting. After all, the quality of painting will depend on it.
Dyeing hair roots
- Comb and divide the hair into parts as described above. And only after that apply paint. First of all, the roots are stained. After all, they are, as a rule, the youngest and healthiest, which means they are more resistant to chemical elements.
- Dip and brush a small amount of paint with a brush. It is better to do several identical procedures. After all, a large stain of the dye will simply cover most of the hair, not allowing the pigment to evenly distribute.
- You need to start from the center. But not from the front, but from the back of the head. It is there that the hair is darker, not so burn out and absorb pigment worse.
- Walk well along the overgrown roots, grabbing 1-2 cm. In no case, do not rub the paint into the scalp!
- Next, fill the shaded strand to the side. Walk on it from the other side. And now paint a new curl in a divided square.
- Shift the hair in the opposite direction from the movement of painting. This procedure needs to be done with each part of the head.
How to distribute the paint along the entire length of the hair?
- Only after a thorough repainting of the roots can you start distributing the dye along the entire length of the hair. Note that in the same way and in the same order you need to go through all the strands in order to evenly paint over them.
- Some, in a hurry, simply apply all the remaining paint on their heads, rubbing it around the perimeter. This is not recommended, because then the color will turn out uneven!
- After you put paint on curls, you need them comb well. This is another step towards paint distribution. Be prepared for hair to get tangled. For some reason, under the influence of paint, they are not so well suited to this procedure.
- Gather the hair in a bun, and for convenience, fix it with a brush or clip. Many out of habit put polyethylene on their heads. The quality of the paint will not improve from this! And you can’t lie down to rest. Therefore, you can safely skip this step.
- But take it again attention contour. Try to color even lines and keep your hair out of the box.
- Worth mentioning is staining. using a bottle or a special dispenser. By the way, it is very convenient to paint over the remaining curls after processing the roots with this technique. Simply pour the paint on the curls and evenly distribute it with your hands.
- You can do it even easier - tilt your head as far forward as you can over the bathtub and start pouring paint on the back of your head. You can even miss a step with the roots. But in this situation, it is better to choose latex gloves, since it will be more convenient to work in them. And with your fingers, carefully help the paint evenly paint over each hair.
- Then just comb your hair well.
How to dye the ends of the hair?
This method of coloring is resorted to by girls who want to create the ombre effect. But this is not the only technology to dye the ends of the hair.
- You need to stock up on foil and divide the hair into the necessary 4 areas. Now divide each area into several more strands, but it is not necessary to make them too small.
- Each strand is placed on a piece of foil and stained to the desired length. Close and go to the next strand according to this principle.
- If you want to create ombre effectthen ten minutes later open the foil and apply the paint a little higher. Literally at 4-5 cm. And after the same length of time repeat the same procedure. Yes, the process is long, but the result will certainly please you.
- By the way, now there is still a simplified version of dyeing hair ends - style hut. To do this, divide the curls into several bundles. And after that, each one just “brush” with a brush. And wind up.
- If you like bright colors, then "Dip-dye" just for you. True, first the ends will need to be discolored, and after that, apply bright paint at your discretion. The strands also do not need to be made too small, just collect them in 2-4 bundles. It all depends on the natural density of the hair. But each strand must be wrapped in foil.
Dyeing gray hair
- Start where there is more gray hair. It is very important to remember that the paint on the basal hair is mastered quite poorly. Because the hair there is new and very strong. It is difficult for chemical elements to penetrate the structure of the hair, which is why it stands at the roots apply paint at least twice.
- Care should be taken not to apply excessive dye to the ends of the hair, as they are the most vulnerable and very easily stained. Make sure that the color is uniform both at the roots and at the tips.
- Do not forget to carefully and evenly coat your hair with a little paint. To this end, divide the hair of the head into many small strands, evenly applying paint.
- After applying paint do not cover your hair with foil, and do not bind them tightly. For the full effect, it is important to give chemical elements the opportunity to interact with air.
How much paint to hold?
- After that, time should be noted. But there are some nuances:
- in the case of regular staining, the paint should be kept on the hair in the roots for 20 minutes. But the exact time is indicated in the instructions. Then just apply paint to the ends and the remaining strands for another 10 minutes. But it suits those who regularly use one color;
- if the hair is dyed for the first time, then first apply the product to the roots, and then immediately to the ends. And wash off after 30 minutes at once all the curls;
- when staining the tips, you need to take 10 minutes from the specified time. That is, on average, it will be 20 minutes;
- but the balayazh technique provides, on the contrary, an extension of up to 30-45 minutes.
- Paint holding time from the moment of full application of the product. In the case of regular dyeing, separately calculate it for regrown roots and ends, and in the case of the first dyeing, for all hair at once;
- Do not extend the time recommended by the manufacturer, as the paint loses its properties. But that’s not the point, you yourself destroy your hair structure. Reducing the time, in turn, can lead to less saturated color.
How to wash off the paint correctly?
- Now we turn to an equally important process - washing off the paint:
- First you need to rinse your hair with a little warm water.And then massage for 2-3 minutes to form a foam, which will further enhance the staining effect. It will also make it easier to flush the paint itself;
- then rinse your hair thoroughly, massaging the scalp. Pay special attention to every part of the head! You need to wash it until until the water is clean and stops foaming;
- if there is an additional balm with paint, then be sure to use it.
Better rinse your hair with vinegar balm
Important: It is not particularly desirable to wash your hair even with delicate shampoo and, especially, moisturize with balms and lotions. This will impair the adhesion of the pigment to the hair scales. You can only use homemade vinegar balm. They will strengthen the paint, and strengthen the roots. By the way, take care of the right care line for dyed hair. But apple cider vinegar, in a composition with any baby cream, can be used after each shampoo.
How to dye your hair yourself with henna and basma?
Natural dyes have long been known that even strengthen hair. True, playing with flowers will not work like that. As a rule, they only make hair darker a little.
- The most important thing is to dilute the paint correctly. Never fill it with cold water, only hot! Stir thoroughly until no lumps remain.
- Please note that containers must also choose ceramic or glass. And do not disturb the paint with a metal spoon.
- Natural paint should be infused for 15-30 minutes. Then the particles have time to swell and reveal the pigment.
- But here she can cool down during this time. therefore put the bowl in a pot of hot water.
- You can add 1-3 drops of any aromatic oil or some other natural coloring components that will complement the main color. For example, coffee or cinnamon.
- You must also start from the back of the head and stain evenly each strand on both sides. Again, first go through the roots, and then paint over the curls along the entire length.
- Do not try to comb your hair! Otherwise, you will remain completely without them. Henna and Basma consist of insoluble grains that will envelop your hair.
- Therefore, the option is allowed when the mixture is placed on the head and thoroughly mixed on the hair. Or you can even dunk strands into it.
- Here it is already required polyethylene cap. The paint flows, and it reveals itself from the heat. Therefore, the head also needs insulate scarf or scarf.
- The exposure time takes 40 minutes or 2-3 hours. The longer, the richer the tone. Do not worry, it will not harm the hair. It can even be used simply to treat hair using colorless pigments.
- But here it will be necessary to wash off as much. The fact is that these grains are very poorly washed off the hair. Therefore, we will leave a lot of time, and outside help will not hurt. After rinse with vinegar solution (in the ratio with water 1: 1) to fix the new color.
But washing away folk colors is not so simple
Important: After henna or basma, it will be possible to paint with chemical paints only after 2 months. Although ideally, you need to grow hair permanently from henna or basma. Otherwise, you can get an absolutely unexpected effect. For example, green hair instead of brown strands, and the blond will appear a purple tint.
How to avoid common mistakes when painting hair at home: tips
- Remember the timewhich is indicated in the instructions for this product. Increased staining time is very harmful to the scalp and the hair itself. You can get injured quite badly and get burns.
- But with respect to gray hair, on the contrary, soak for 5-10 minutes more, since the pigment in them is worse bonded to the scales.
- It is better to set aside the painting procedure if there are wounds, scratches or rashes on the head until it is completely cured.
- Modern paints have a thick consistency and do not spread on the skin. Therefore, abandon the old-fashioned venture to warm dyed hair. So that more when reacting with air, the paint is more resistant.
- Work fastso that the consistency does not lose its functions, and the color is solid.
- When using any medication, be vigilant, as some of them can affect the hair reaction when dyed.
- Do not add shampoos or balms to the paint. It is completely different components that work in opposite directions. You will not only spoil the color, but also the paint itself. On her hair, she can behave completely unpredictably.
- On critical days, it is also better to abandon the idea of changing hair color. Since hormonal changes can affect the quality of the final result.
- Caustic colors are not recommended. They contain toxic substances that cause serious skin inflammation.
- Also do not forget about the golden rule:painting and perm - friends only after 20-25 days!
- If you end up with a slightly different color, then wait 12 to 15 days. Do not perform the staining procedure earlier for the reason that it affects the skin quite strongly and spoils the hair.
- After painting do not blow dry your hair!
- And, moreover, discard various styling products. And even better - do not apply balms and varnishes for 2-3 days.
- Take a series of hair care products to maintain color. But dandruff shampoos, on the contrary, are very detrimental to the color.
- If you go outside where the weather is sunny and hot, apply thermal protection.
As you can see, dyeing hair at home is not so difficult, especially since it is much more economical. True, it is better to arm yourself with the help of a friend, although sometimes the mirror helps out well. Indeed, in some places it is not always convenient to dye your hair evenly. And most importantly - watch and take care of your curls. Do not forget the old proverb "a girl’s braid is her beauty." And in the modern version - this is a reflection of the grooming and accuracy of the girl.