From this article you will learn what hyperkeratosis of the nails on the hands and feet is and how to treat it.
Appearance for each of us is of great importance. The general impression of a person is made up of his clothes and well-groomed hands. Therefore, if a person has a disease that spoils the appearance, it makes you think about effective and immediate treatment. Hyperkeratosis of the nails is an unpleasant disease that causes a lot of trouble to a person. In this article, we will consider the causes of this pathology and methods of its treatment.
Hyperkeratosis of the nails on the hands and feet - causes, signs, shapes, photos
Hyperkeratosis is a serious fungal disease in which the nail plates and areas of the skin become covered with excess growth cells. There is a violation of the process of desquamation of dying cells, and the growth of the stratum corneum increases. The fingers and toes, feet, hands and elbows may be affected. There is hyperkeratosis progressing in the lips.
Causes of hyperkeratosis of the nails of the hands and feet:
- Progressive skin diseases.
- Pathologies and diseases of the endocrine system.
- Metabolic disorder and excess weight.
- Stress and psychological disorders.
- An excess or lack of vitamins.
It should be noted that the external factors become the trigger mechanism for the development of the disease:
- Increased load on the lower limbs.
- Unsuitable field of activity: work with detergents, frequent stay of hands in high hardness water, use of poorly breathing gloves.
The manifestation of hyperkeratosis of the nails on the feet may indicate poor hygienic care and improperly selected shoes. The disease should not be ruled out, as a result of the presence of vascular pathologies and a sign of excess weight.
Forms of hyperkeratosis can be different:
- The development of the disease begins with the initial form, when the yellowness of the nails only appears.
- At the next stage, the nail begins to thicken, the aesthetic appearance deteriorates.
- A deep form of hyperkeratosis is able to penetrate the area of the nail. This occurs due to the propagation of filamentous fungi. This is the most complex form of hyperkeratosis, which requires long-term treatment.
Signs of the disease:
- First, yellowing of the nail occurs, and then a thickening of the nail plate.
- The structure of the nail changes, hardening or becoming loose.
- The nail changes color.
- The fragility of the nail plate increases.
Nails are a mirror of the health of the whole body, so they require increased attention and are demanding in courtship. It is important not to start the disease, and begin immediate treatment at the initial stage of the disease.
Hyperkeratosis of the nails on the legs and arms: how to treat?Hyperkeratosis of the nails
Hyperkeratosis is a type of fungus that appears due to the rapid growth of skin cells. The disease on the nails of the hands and feet is manifested by keratinization of the skin layer under the nail plate. Hyperkeratosis is expressed in an increase in the layer of the nail, its delamination, change and deformation of the nail plate.
For the treatment of hyperkeratosis of the nails in the arms and legs:
- Pills are used, together with various ointments and gels, as well as therapeutic nail polishes - Fluconazole, Ketoconazole, Nizoral.
- Antifungal tablets where the main active ingredient is well suited to cure the disease Amphotericin Group B.
- The use of ointments and gels is necessary to relieve itching and reduce the burning sensation - Lamisil, Batrafen, Neilexpert. The cream, penetrating deep into the nail plate, kills the fungus and, nourishing the skin around it, does not allow the disease to spread further.
- To treat the disease, in the initial stages, special varnishes that destroy pathogens should be used - Loceril, Demikten.
- To treat the foot and interdigital space, an antifungal spray is used - Mycosan.
Most often, dermatologists for the treatment of hyperkeratosis prescribe antifungal gels with the active substance to their patients Naphthyne, which is aimed at improving the action of tablets and capsules. Only such a comprehensive treatment will help and get rid of the fungus.
Tip: Fluconazole drug helps to get rid of the fungus very well. But you need to drink it for six months. The dosage should be prescribed only by a doctor. Self-medication is dangerous to health, since this drug can adversely affect liver function.
Naturally, do not forget that it is the complex and the system that is the best that the disease can defeat. Drink the medicine systematically, at certain times of the day, and also use varnishes, sprays and ointments to process the nail plate.
Allergic hyperkeratosis of the nails: symptoms, causes, treatmentAllergic hyperkeratosis of the nails
Hyperkeratosis is a series of dermatological diseases in which an excessive increase in the stratum corneum of the skin is noted. Fungal nail damage causes subungual hyperkeratosis. The nail plate begins to thicken, which brings a lot of inconvenience, pain and discomfort.
To the main reasons the occurrence of allergic hyperkeratosis of the nails can be attributed to:
- Immune system dysfunction.
- Complications of psoriasis.
- Severe stress
- Chronic eczema
- Intestinal upset
- Overabundance of vitamins
- Acute viral infections
It is important to know: For effective treatment, it is important to diagnose this type of hyperkeratosis in time and correctly diagnose it. Therefore, if you have health problems, consult a doctor.
Main symptoms allergic hyperkeratosis:
- Nail plate loosening
- Nail color change
- Delamination plate
- Nail deformation
- Nail plate seal
Treat allergic hyperkeratosis immediately, because over time, the disease will progress and may spread throughout the body. When the diagnosis is made, the doctor prescribes:
- Complex treatmentwith the use of various antifungal drugs, both for external use (sprays, ointments, varnishes), and for internal (tablets). See above for what drugs can treat this disease.
- From allergies antihistamines are prescribed: Zodak, Desal, Suprastinex and so on.
As mentioned above, it is necessary to take medications up to the moment until a healthy nail grows. The standard course of treatment for subungual hyperkeratosis is from two to six months.
Hyperkeratosis of the cuticle of the nails: treatmentHyperkeratosis Cuticle Nail
Hyperkeratosis accounts for about 20% of all skin and nail diseases. The nail cuticle serves as a protection for the nail from various pathogenic pathogens. However, with unprofessional manicure or poor hand care, the cuticle is damaged and becomes the entrance gate for infection. The affected cuticle is characterized by proliferation, redness, and the appearance of painful cracks. If untreated, the infection quickly transfers to the nail plate.
In most cases, the occurrence of hyperkeratosis is associated with a fungal infection. However, manifestations of hyperkeratosis are possible with such pathologies:
- Lichen planus and other systemic diseases
In any case, the trigger of the disease is weakened immunity. Hyperkeratosis treatment can only be complex, under control podologist, dermatologist. When confirming the fungal nature of the disease (by sowing), therapy includes antifungal drugs. Apply tablets such as:
- Fungicidal creams and ointments
Means that need to be applied to the affected areas soften the skin around the nail, eliminate unpleasant sensations. The duration of treatment depends on how far the painful process has gone. Skin manifestations can be cured relatively quickly, but if the infection has seized the nail, it will take a long and persistent therapy - until 6 months.
Hyperkeratosis under the nails of the hands and feet: treatment of subungual hyperkeratosis, photo
Hyperkeratosis under the nails of the hands and feet, in most cases, is the result of a fungal infection of the skin or nail plates. A harmful fungus in the process of its activity causes changes in the compounds of cells, which form new surface layers. Stratification of the nail, a change in its color, thickening are the consequences of mycosis.
The treatment of subungual hyperkeratosis requires strict discipline. The sooner you start therapy, the faster a person will be able to get rid of unattractive symptoms. Here is the treatment:
The corneal tissue of the nail affected by the fungus must be removed.
- This can be done with the help of manicure scissors, special forceps, nail files.
- Healthy areas do not need to be damaged.
- Hygiene products in contact with the infected area should be decontaminated every time after and before use.
- If during the growth of the stratum corneum new altered areas appear, they should also be removed and continue wellness procedures.
Application of drugs.
- Pharmacological agents in the form of drops according to the instructions are applied to the cleaned nail plate and the areas near it.
- Most often, the procedure is repeated several times a day.
- Gels and creams do not have the ability to penetrate deep under the nail.
It is necessary to protect the affected areas.
- During the treatment, it is necessary to exclude fogging of the affected areas.
- If the fungus is present on the legs, then thin cotton socks will be a good solution. They will help prevent infection of the other foot.
- All shoes must be treated with antifungal sprays.
Use of varnishes, sprays.
- In pharmacology, there are special medical varnishes intended for the treatment of nail hyperkeratosis.
- They avoid the removal of part of the nail plate, however, the efficiency is not as high as drops.
Recovering from hyperkeratosis is a long process. In some cases, a specialist may prescribe medications for internal use, as an additional aid to the body.
Severe nail, subungual hyperkeratosis in onychomycosis: treatment forecasts for nail fungus
Onychomycosis is a fungal infection of the nail. Most often, hyperkeratosis develops precisely against the background of this disease. The prognosis of treatment of nail fungus with severe nail and subungual hyperkeratosis depends on the form and degree of the disease.
- At the initial stage, treatment does not take much time, provided that all the recommendations of the doctor are followed.
- With complication of hyperkeratosiswhen the nail has already begun to grow and exfoliate, and the pathology has moved into the subungual space, the treatment should last at least 6 months.
- Otherwise, the disease can affect other parts of the body: feet, fingers, palms, lips, and so on.
Tips for the proper care of hands and feet during treatment:
- Frequent filing and cutting of nails should be excluded.
- Sawing should be done in one direction, avoiding delamination.
- It is forbidden to cut the nail shortly.
- With increased fragility, products containing calcium, iodine and iron should be included in the diet.
- Give up the habit of biting your nails.
- After water procedures, wipe the affected areas dry to prevent the spread of fungal infections.
- It is useful to massage the hands and feet.
- Manicure and pedicure on steamed arms and legs.
With all the recommendations and advice, the prognosis for treatment will be favorable.
Nail hyperkeratosis: prevention
So that long-term treatment is not in vain and the symptoms of the disease are not disturbed again, it is necessary to know and follow the rules of prevention. Any disease is easier to avoid than to fight it with manifestations.
Worth knowing: Leg hyperkeratosis of nails is most often affected. This is due to the presence of a favorable environment for the reproduction of pathogens.
Let us consider the preventive measures in more detail:
Close, not very comfortable shoes made of artificial materials can create a greenhouse effect and microdamage to the superficial tissues of the foot, where infections can easily penetrate. In order to prevent, it is recommended to carefully approach the issue of choosing shoes:
- It should be sized.
- Distribute the load evenly throughout the foot.
- Have proper air circulation, observe seasonality.
- When visiting public places, such as: baths, pools, spas, you must use specially designed shoes, best of all - disposable.
- In stores, when trying on shoes, you need to wear socks or tracks. It is not known which person measured these things before.
- At home, the purchase can be treated with an antifungal spray or left in the sun for one day.
All hygiene products must be strictly individual: scissors, nail files and the like. Infection with fungal infections often occurs in beauty salons.
Remember: The master is required to sterilize the instrument and show you how it does it. Some small organizations neglect the rules. Do not visit them better.
Hyperkeratosis of nails: reviews
Read the reviews of people who have gone all the way to cure hyperkeratosis of nails:
Victoria, 45 years old
Hyperkeratosis of my nails began after visiting a manicurist. The nails became brittle, peeling and breaking. I turned to a dermatologist, she prescribed a spray from the fungus during the day and varnish for the night. Within a month, my nails became beautiful again.
Sergey, 39 years old
I often go to the bathhouse, and I could not even think that I would have a fungus of toenails. I did not go to the doctor for a long time, I was self-medicating. As a result, terrible nails and skin on the legs. When he came to the dermatologist, he said that nail hyperkeratosis is already progressing and the treatment will be long. I’ve been taking pills for the fifth month. The condition of the nails has improved, but the nail plate and skin have not yet fully recovered.
Irina, 25 years old
My nail fungus appeared after a trip to the sea. I could not even think that shared showers and dressing rooms on the beach are a hotbed of germs. I have been treating foot hyperkeratosis for 2 months. There are improvements, but the doctor said that treatment should be continued for another 1-2 months.
In the ability to withstand any disease, the main role is played by immunity. Proper healthy nutrition, enriched with vitamins and minerals, will positively affect the whole body. Pay attention to yourself and your health, do not visit public baths, saunas and other similar institutions. Good luck