What caused the numbness of the toes and how to deal with it?
Pain and numbness of the toes causes suffering and discomfort in everyday life. Why painful sensations arise in the toes and how to help ourselves - we will tell in this article.
Why do my toes hurt and numb?
Many face toe pain and numbness. Uncomfortable shoes are believed to be a major factor in discomfort in the legs. Is this always the case?
Let's try to figure it out. It turns out that many diseases signal their presence in the form of painful manifestations and numbness of the fingers of the limbs.High stilettos can cause leg pain
Paresthesia is a violation of the sensitivity of certain parts of the body, especially the limbs. This painful condition is characterized by:
- tingling sensations
- the appearance of touch crawling "goosebumps"
IMPORTANT: The phenomenon of numbness of the limbs of the legs can indicate serious problems in the human body: from problems with the musculoskeletal system to endocrine diseases, in particular diabetes mellitus.
Numbness of the toes can be transient or chronic.A long, uncomfortable leg pose can cause numbness in the limbs.
This type of sensitivity violation is associated with a mechanical effect on the superficial nerve of the foot. This happens in cases:
- squeezing (wrong and uncomfortable shoes)
- shock (traumatic injuries)
- impaired blood flow in this place (prolonged uncomfortable posture during sleep or wakefulness)
When these factors are eliminated, the feeling of pain and numbness of the extremities passes independently.
IMPORTANT: Statistics show: 90% of cases associated with numbness in the legs are associated with spinal problems.
Symptoms of numbness of the toes can be caused by pathological processes in the body:
- tumor diseases
- infectious diseases
- neurodegenerative changes (hereditary and acquired diseases)
- autoimmune processes (lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus, etc.)
Numbness and pain of the extremities of the legs can be observed with alcoholic and diabetic polyneuropathy, atherosclerosis, Raynaud's disease, intervertebral hernia. osteochondrosis and other diseases.
IMPORTANT: With regular complaints of numbness and pain in the toes, you should consult a doctor for examination. These symptoms often accompany serious health problems.
Examination and Diagnostics
Complaints of pain and numbness of the toes require a comprehensive examination using laboratory tests and special equipment.
A general and biochemical blood test allows you to identify or rule out serious diseases such as diabetes, malignant diseases, polyneuropathy, inflammatory processes and foci of their location in a patient.Hardware Diagnostics
Hardware diagnostics uses the following examination methods:
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Ultrasound scan
Diagnosis and treatment methods
If paresthesia of the legs should be examined by a doctor: a neurologist, traumatologist, orthopedist or vertebrologist. Based on laboratory and hardware tests, the doctor can make the correct diagnosis and prescribe a treatment regimen.
As a rule, treatment is aimed at eliminating foci of inflammation, relieving pain, restoring normal blood circulation to the limbs, relieving nerve compression and normalizing vascular processes.Drug therapy of diseases
The complex of therapeutic measures is reduced to:
- medication (anti-inflammatory, painkillers and blood circulation enhancers)
- hardware procedures (physical therapy, laser therapy, cryotherapy)
- surgical interventions (advanced hernias and infringements)
Therapeutic joint gymnastics, manual therapy, massage, reflexology - an additional set of measures that accelerates the healing process.Thumb tip numbness
Why are the tips of the big toes numb?
Numbness of the tips of the big toes is most often caused by insufficient blood circulation and a violation of the innervation of the numbness zones. This discomfort is associated not only with wearing uncomfortable shoes, but also is a signal of trouble in the spinal column or the initial stages of many serious pathologies.
One way or another, persistent numbness of the tips of the big toes is a reason for concern and requires a medical examination and elucidation of the cause of such a pathology.
Why is the middle toe numb?
Problems with the lumbar spine may be accompanied by periodic prolonged numbness of the middle toe. If this is not associated with tight shoes and an uncomfortable body position during work, you should consult a doctor for a comprehensive examination.Foot and toe massage will help restore sensitivity
Foot baths and light foot massage help restore blood circulation and restore sensitivity to a numbed finger.
Why is the little finger numb on the leg?
The little fingers on the legs can go numb and lose sensitivity for many reasons. If, numbness is associated with wearing shoes with a tight and narrow toe, then this problem can be solved.
But long-term numbness of the little finger can cause many diseases associated with vascular disorders, infectious processes or other pathologies:
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
- tumor formations
- spinal tuberculosis
Why does the ringless toe go numb?
The numbness of the ring finger of the foot is most often associated with uncomfortable shoes. The so-called Shopar joint or the joint of the arch of the foot is squeezed by tight shoes and when walking appears swelling of the ligaments and impaired circulation. There is a loss of sensation and numbness of the ring finger.
If this discomfort is not associated with wearing tight shoes, you should consult a specialist and undergo an examination.
Why do my toes go numb at night?
Night cramps of the calves of the legs are accompanied by involuntary spasm or muscle contraction. The person experiences severe pain, burning, crawling sensation, numbness of the toes.Toe numbness at night
Causes of seizures can be:
- muscle overwork
- lack of Mg and Ca in the body
- Vitamin B deficiency
- stress and nervous tension
- monotonous sedentary work
- various diseases (osteochondrosis, polyneuritis, diabetes mellitus, cancer)
Periodic numbness of the toes at night is a harbinger of problems in the body. Testing and medical consultation will help you start treatment on time and avoid complications.It happens that the fingers go numb when walking
Why do my toes go numb when walking?
Complaints of numbness of fingers while walking and running, especially for long distances, are substantiated and caused by the following reasons:
- uncomfortable shoes
- consequences after traumatic injuries: dislocation and subluxation with sprain of the ankle ligaments, overstrain of muscles and ligaments of the arch of the foot, etc.
- fusion of the thigh muscle nerve
- intervertebral hernia
- vascular pathology (lower leg thrombosis)
With symptoms of numbness of the fingers during movement, an orthopedist should be seen.Chemotherapy may cause numbness in the toes
Why do my fingers go numb after chemotherapy?
- A course of chemotherapy is a difficult test in the treatment of cancer patients. As a rule, procedures are uncomfortable and have a number of side effects.
- One of the manifestations of chemotherapy is hypersthesia. This side effect causes numbness of the sole, foot and fingers after a chemotherapeutic course.
- Such phenomena are removed by the appointment of appropriate doses of B vitamins under mandatory medical supervision.
Special gymnastics and massage of the feet and fingers helps to restore the sensitivity of the foot.
What to do if the big toe is numb?
Some physiological factors can cause paresthesia of the big toe. Excluding these circumstances, the problem goes away on its own. But a symptom of numbness can inform about serious ailments. Therefore, a qualified medical examination is recommended.Close shoes are one of the reasons for discomfort in the legs.
Physiological factors of thumb numbness
- Inconvenient and tight shoes can cause numbness of the big toe. Long stays in high heels also cause discomfort to the legs. In these cases, there is a failure of blood flow in the foot due to pressure on the vessels
- Extremely uncomfortable posture can lead to paresthesia for a long time, when it is difficult to move the toes. This is possible for long trips in transport, with an uncomfortable landing at the workplace
- Improper positioning of the legs while sitting can also cause numbness syndrome. So, crossing the legs and throwing one foot on the other contribute to the pressure on the vessels, and as a result - numbness of the thumb
- Freezing your feet can also cause pain and paresthesia of the fingers
If you eliminate the factors that can provoke a loss of sensitivity, then the symptoms of paresthesia disappear without consequences. Change of shoes and proper fit during work, as a rule, relieve discomfort in the legs.
Numbness of the thumb can be caused by many serious illnesses.
IMPORTANT: Smoking and drinking alcohol - bad human habits over time negatively affect the elasticity of blood vessels and the bloodstream as a whole. Not enough blood flows to the big toes, which can lead to loss of sensation. In the future, serious problems with the vessels of the legs may develop.
Pain and numbness of the thumb as a signal of illness
The human body is a single whole. All organs are interconnected and a failure of a separate chain can cause serious disturbances in the functioning of the whole organism.
Osteochondrosis can cause thumb numbness
IMPORTANT: The innervation of the big toes comes from the spinal column in the fourth and fifth vertebrae of the lumbar region. Therefore, any problems with the spine: osteochondrosis, strangulated hernias, various injuries and fractures, can be reflected on the big toes in the form of pain and numbness.
Diseases in which there may be symptoms of paresthesia of the thumb
With persistent symptoms of loss of sensitivity of the thumb, you should seek medical help for a full examination. Diseases that most often lead to pain and paresthesia of the thumb:
Osteochondrosis - dystrophic changes in the intervertebral discs. Radiography will reveal this pathology.
Atherosclerosis - vascular disease due to narrowing of the lumen of the arteries, due to the formation of cholesterol deposits on the inner surface of the vessels. A femoral artery affected by atherosclerosis can cause loss of sensation in the fingers, and then the entire limb.
Cancerous growths or metastases in the spine.
Raynaud's disease - damage to the smallest arteries and arterioles of the feet. Pathology has a genetic predisposition.Vascular pathology may cause paresthesia
Polyneuropathy - A disorder in the physiology of the peripheral nervous system due to pathological metabolic processes and other factors. Diabetes mellitus, uremia, alcohol syndrome can cause loss of sensation in the toes.
Gout - The painful condition of the joints and adjacent tissues caused by metabolic disorders and salt deposits. Overweight men who use large amounts of meat food in their diets suffer from the disease.
Tuberculosis and other infectious diseases of the spine leading to its deformation.Many diseases cause foot paresthesia
Varicose veins veins of the lower extremities - venous insufficiency caused by the expansion of veins and weakening of their tone.
Sciatic Neuralgia (Sciatica) - A disease that causes the attachment of a group of large spinal nerves. The sciatic nerve passes through the toes, its inflammation can cause a symptom of numbness.
Arthritis and arthrosis - diseases that cause inflammation and deformation of the joints.
Intervertebral hernia develops by rupture of the intervertebral disc. A protrusion in the form of a hernia compresses the root of the nerve, causing pinching. The signal for inflammation may manifest as paresthesia.Feasible physical activity - good prevention from foot diseases
Piggy bank of tips: how to avoid paresthesia of the fingers of the limb
- Try to use comfortable and practical shoes made of natural materials with a small heel in everyday life
- Do not allow your feet to freeze in inclement weather.
- Avoid prolonged static workplace poses that constrain movement
- Strengthen muscle corset, exercise
- Use healthy foods in your diet and monitor your weight.
- Foot baths and foot massage at night - good prevention of paresthesia of the toes
- Eliminate bad habits that cause vasospasm from your life: smoking and drinking